Thursday, November 5, 2009

Moving house - my emotional breakdown

Our son was not quite 2 and I was about 8 weeks pregnant and suffering from morning sickness when we decided to sell our house and move. We looked around for awhile looking for somewhere quiet and settled on a nice house in a different suburb but still close to where we were in a nice quiet cul-de-sac. We owned a dog at that time and went for a walk around the house and streets with our dog to find any noisy dogs, there weren't any, so we bought the house and I had lovely visions and expectations of moving to a nice quiet house.

Sadly, this was not my reality. The day we moved in with the help of our friends a dog right next door barked its head off at us and didnt stop. I was starting to loose it already, on our first night. Over the next few months, I began to feel more and more despair. I couldnt walk around my house, because the next door neighbours dog would start barking, which would wake my son during his day sleep. I felt like I was walking on eggshells in my own house, it was horrible. I told my husband I hated the house every day and wanted to move. After a couple of months, we had been out and came home in the afternoon to find a strange noise throughout the house, it was our neighbours pool pump which sat on our fence line right next to our house and reverberated throughout the house. I confronted our neighbour about the dog and pool pump and other issues I had and thankfully, they were able to help out to an extent, but in the end our neighbour stopped talking to me and claimed I was harassing them. I can understand this and I have apologised for my behaviour at the time. I was in such a bad place emotionally, I was lashing out at whoever came across my path.

Even though I hated the house and wanted to leave every single day, I knew this was not normal and that the thoughts I were having were not rational thoughts, I just couldnt stop them, although I tried every single day, but it was exhausting work and my family was suffering because of it. I was short tempered with my son and just generally angry most of the time. Most nights I would burst into tears once I had put my son to bed and just cry that I wanted it all to go away and that I couldnt handle it anymore. My husband didnt know what to do and I didnt know how to help him or myself. I pretty much had an emotional meltdown or nervous breakdown and knew I had to get some help.


No comments:

Post a Comment