Tuesday, November 3, 2009

My attempt to go back to work

As I had originally planned to go back to work when my son was 6 months old, I put him in daycare and returned to work for 2 days per week. Leaving my son with strangers was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. The first day I left him, I cried the whole way to work.

Within the first couple of weeks of returning to work, my son got sick (he had never really been sick previously) with a cold, but it went straight to his chest and he ended up with bronchiolitis and he spent 3 days in hospital on oxygen. It was a very stressful time. I had just started work and then had to take time off to look after my son. It took another couple of weeks for him to be able to go back to daycare and for me to go back to work, however, he was quite sick off and on over the next few months and was again back in hospital with bronchiolitis and on oxygen. At least the second time around, we knew what was happening, so it was a little easier, if nothing else. After the second time however, my husband and I made the decision for me to stay at home with our son and get through Winter, so I took him out of daycare and kept him at home with me. Thankfully, my work was really understanding and they wished me the best when I told them that I had made the decision to quit work. I hated the thought of stuffing them around as I had felt like I had been doing this since I started back.

So, all of a sudden I was a stay at home mum! I say this because previously I had always planned on going back to work, so that defined who I was and what I knew. Now I didnt have this to fall back on and it felt a little scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment