Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Recovery from MRSA

It wasnt until I got back home that it really sunk in how lucky I had been. If the infection had gotten into my blood stream, I could have died.

While at home I was still on antibiotics for another week (tablets) and had to check in with the doctor at infectious diseases. I found that I was quite weak and I was having trouble feeding my daughter again. On a couple of occasions I had nearly fainted and realised that I still had to take things easy. Thankfully my mum was still staying with us and she was able to help out. I did end up in emergency one night because I was feeling really ill. It turned out that I was quite dehydrated and put on drip to get my fluids up and then I was fine. It probably took another few weeks to fully recover from the infection.

Over this period, my daughter had gotten rather attached to the bottle and it was difficult to re-establish breastfeeding. At about 12 weeks, I gave up and put her on formula full-time. I feel like I didn't really have a choice, I didn't have the energy to keep trying and she was much more settled on the bottle than the boob anyway. I guess it just wasn't meant to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment